Memorial Day weekend is just a week away. And, if you are anything like us, you have a lot of warm- weather prep to complete before having some fun-in-the-sun. When it comes to prepping your home for late spring and summer, our Harrisonburg-area HVAC technicians all agree on one thing – it is imperative that you schedule your AC system checkup! Having your system checkup performed before the weather heats up is important for your cooling system’s performance. It helps to ensure that your air conditioning equipment is running efficiently, dependably and safely all season long.
Booking your AC system checkup before you turn your central air conditioning on for the season is best. If that’s not an option, having it completed before the weather is consistently hot is highly recommended. Having one of our professional HVAC technicians look at your equipment, identify issues and safely start-up your system is the best way to begin the season of cooling.
Five Common Issues Identified During an AC System Checkup
After sitting dormant during the winter months, many problems can arise with your air conditioning. Most of these issues go unnoticed by the untrained eye. Having a professional HVAC technician come out to give your equipment a complete AC checkup is the best way to identify any problems before turning your system on.
Five of the most common issues found and fixed during our AC system checkups are:
- Low levels of Freon – Your system needs Freon to operate, and will slowly stop blowing cold air without it. Low Freon levels, often caused by Freon leaks, are easily identified by a trained expert. Also, Freon is dangerous and needs to be professionally handled at all times.
- Full filters – Air filters help to preserve the cleanliness of your home’s air while keeping your system working at its optimal level. Turning the system on with a congested/dirt-filled filter will cause your AC to work harder, in turn, causing the system to lose efficiency. This will reduce the operating life of your AC while increasing your home’s energy bills.
- Bad wires start fires – Frays, bad connections and complete breaks (often from critter bites!) in the system’s many wires can cause major electrical issues and even a fire.
- Leaks or clogs in the drain line – Small drain line leaks or major drain line clogs will have the same result – water damage in your home.
- Covered coils – The coils in your exterior ac equipment need to be clean and clear to work properly. If they are covered with dirt, debris, leaves and other items they will slowly struggle to operate.
Booking Your Annual AC Checkup
If you haven’t booked your annual ac system checkup yet, we urge you to do so. Give Blue Mountain Plumbing, Heating & Cooling a call today: (540) 942-2700. We will schedule your appointment, send out an HVAC expert, and have your AC equipment checked-up and ready to keep you and your family cool and comfortable during Memorial Day weekend and all summer long!