How To Prep Your Plumbing System for Cold Weather
Posted on October 16th, 2015 by BlueMountain
Cold weather is on its way to Virginia. The weather can impact a lot of things, including your plumbing system. While you can’t predict the weather, you can be prepared for whatever Mother Nature brings. Below are some tips that will prep your plumbing system for the cold months ahead.
- Insulate any pipes that are located in unheated and drafty parts of your home.
- Turn off and drain pipes of exterior faucets. It will prevent them from freezing when the mercury drops.
- Locate the main water valve in your home. Turn it off if a plumbing emergency should occur in your home.
- Let your faucet drip cold water for a few minutes. Running water can prevent frozen pipes.
- Leave the kitchen cabinets open that are near your water supply. It will help warm up your plumbing system.