The Benefits of a New Thermostat
Posted on January 8th, 2019 by BlueMountain
For those of us that have added saving money to our list of 2019 resolutions, Blue Mountain has an easy way to reduce the dollars that you spend on your monthly utility bills. What is this money-saving solution? A new programmable thermostat! Cold and snowy weather in the Waynesboro Virginia forecast is a great incentive to have a thermostat that will warm up the house before you get home!
Programmable thermostats are an inexpensive add-on to your home’s heating and central air conditioning systems and have numerous benefits, including:
- Saving Money – EnergyStar.gov reports that you can save around $180 on home energy costs each and every year when properly using a programmable thermostat. Proper usage includes setting the temperature to decrease in the winter and increase in the summer when you are sleeping or away from home during your work day.
- Vacation Settings – If you are going to be away from home for a vacation or a long trip your programmable thermostat can easily be set to ‘hold’ a temperature that will keep your home at a safe temperature without breaking the bank.
- Convenience – Using a programmable thermostat allows you to ‘set it and forget it’ when it comes to the temperature in your home. You can seasonally set the thermostat for optimal temperatures throughout the day and night, keeping you comfortable and energy efficient.
- 24/7 Comfort – With the correct settings, your thermostat will tell your heating or cooling system to kick on before you wake up in the morning or return from your work day, allowing you to enjoy a comfortable home day and night.
- System Alerts – Many programmable thermostats have the capability to alert you to an HVAC system issue such as a needed filter change, annual maintenance or safety concern. Most models will also tell you when they need something as simple as a battery change.
- Current Rebates – The State of Virginia currently offers a rebate on programmable thermostats. As Energy.gov reports: “Taxpayers in Virginia may deduct from their taxable personal income an amount equal to 20% of the sales taxes paid for certain energy efficient equipment. The incentive is capped at $500.” Click here to learn more.
Proper Thermostat Settings The installation of a programmable thermostat will not provide you with the above benefits if you do not take the time to properly set it up. For optimal comfort and energy savings, EnergyStar.gov suggests: “a 10 hour daytime setback of 8° F in winter and setup of 7° F in summer, and an 8 hour nighttime setback of 8° F in winter and a setup of 4° F in summer.” The Energy Star chart below provides further explanation:
Install A Programmable Thermostat In Your Virginia Home Interested in saving money on your annual energy bills? Call Blue Mountain to learn more about programmable thermostats, the different models that will work in your home, and how they can benefit you: 877-280-5777.
*chart courtesy of: https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/publications/pubdocs/HeatingCoolingGuide%20FINAL_9-4- 09.pdf