Musty odors can be attributed to a number of things, but usually, it’s from dampness that gets trapped due to poor ventilation (or in other words, mold, and mildew). All you have to do is eliminate the moisture, increase the airflow and ventilation, and your basement will be good as new.
How To Get Rid Of The Musty Smell In Your Basement
Mold and mildew don’t just smell bad, it could potentially damage your home and your health – here’s how to remove the smell:
- Check for condensation and water leaks. And if you see a leak, stop it immediately. Water damage can take a toll on your home and your belongings. If your pipes show signs of condensation, wrap them with insulation to reduce the moisture.
- Dry out your basement. Dehumidifiers are your best friend here – use them to remove the moisture from your air. It also helps to open up a few windows to circulate airflow.
- Try killing the mold. Did you know that undiluted white vinegar can kill almost 85% of mold spores? If you have protective gear and keep the windows open, this may do the trick. Simply pour undiluted white vinegar on the mold and leave it to dry to help prevent future mold growth.
- Clean the air. The best move after mold removal is to freshen the air. You can leave bowls of vinegar around the room for a few days to lift the odor or you can leave baking soda in the room for a few months.
Don’t let that musty odor you smell in your basement go untreated. Most likely, that smell is from mold or mildew which can affect your home, clothing, furniture, and anything else storing in your basement. For professional help cleaning your indoor air, call Blue Mountain Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling! Visit our website or Call (540) 942-2700 to schedule a service.